Since the time of Saint Benedict (480-548), studies have always been part of the monastic life, first of all for the monks themselves, then for the young destined for monastic life, offered to the monastery as oblates by their parents, then in cloistered schools for the sons of nobles in the early Middle Ages and later through studies at the medieval universities of Paris and Oxford. The Renaissance and especially the Catholic Reformation of the 16th century led to a rebirth not only of the monastic life itself but also of Benedictine scholarly studies, as it appears particularly in regard to the French Congregation of Saint Mauro, founded in 1632, whose members, for example Dom Jean Mabillon, were among the founders of modern scholarship. Because of the vicissitudes of the French revolution and the consequent virtual collapse of Benedictine life in most of Europe, the extraordinary resumption of that life at the end of the first half of the 19th century brought with it a revival of academic studies in Benedictine monasteries. It is in this context that the (re) foundation of Sant’Anselmo must be understood. The College of Sant’Anselmo, originally founded in 1687 by Pope Innocent XI, was restored and entrusted to the entire Confoederatio Benedictina by Pope Leo XIII in 1887.